Friday, March 20, 2009

The Finish Line

Becky Prater says blogging might be my new calling because where ever I go, shit happens, and I will never run out of material.  Direct quote.

Yesterday's example.  We were at our final lunch
 at the Outback in Tukwilla which was 3 miles from the finish line.  I had the idea I would ride my bike in and so headed to the truck to get my shoes and helmet.  As I approached, a guy slammed the passenger door and walked away.  I greeted him with "Hi, how's it going?" because I momentarily thought he was one of our group of 70 people.  The black leather jacket should have tipped me off, but remember I am taking Vicodin.  He responded back in a friendly manner and then sprinted to a waiting car. 

Dumbfounded, I just stood there waiting for Bob and panicking when a man from a nearby building approached and said he got the license number and that his office building  has video cameras that will have the guy on tape.    Police arrived, we determined nothing
 was taken except the door lock had been damaged when he broke in.  Turns out the license number does not match the black honda civic he got into, indicating this is a professional operation.  The cops deduced we were from Red Neckville and gave us a friendly warning  about not leaving anything visible in the truck cab because this happens all the time.  Everyone said I was the hero cause I arrived just in time to prevent a crime.  Actually I think he decided going through our jumbled bags was too much work.
  Little did he know Becky's laptop was under the seat.  Ha Ha sucker!


Back to the ride.  After this excitement I tried a practice ride in the parking lot.  Not working. I could only get onthe bike by laying it almost to the ground and stepping over it rathr than swinging my leg over the seat.  Then I tried to pedal and I was so tenetive I thought it wasn't worth it.  I was really bummed but realized even if I could get moving, if I crashed i might cause a chain reaction with other riders.  Enough people have fallen on this trip - we did not need any more.  Plus there was a killer hill over to the destination and I knew that wouldn't work for me at all.  So sadly, I gave my bike back to Cole and he took it on in.

The finish was great with smiles, cheers and tears.   Families and FARA staff members greated the riders.  We had champagne on arrival and speeches thank yous and hugs. Kyle gave each of the riders an Olympic style medal and thanked us for our participation.  It was so much more than a bike ride for all of us.   Awesome experience and I will definitely do it again.  Make that we, because I think Bob will ride next time.  

The Ataxians are all staying for the conference where Kyle will speak on Saturday night.  We left the Praters in Seattle before heading  north to Marysville for our final two nights before the 12 hour drive home on Saturday.

No comments:

Post a Comment