Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Great start - crappy finish





We left the Oregon Health Sciences University Monday about 9am and headed through downtown Portland for an eternity.  I saw some great Victorian and Craftsman homes but I could not even think of taking a picture.  There were a million intersections to cross.  The only strategy was to stay with a group and cross these together with the bravest person taking
 command and waiving us through or stopping the traffic with a raised hand cop-style.  

Finally we made it to Highway 30 which turned out to be a 4 laner with a bike lane.  Trouble was, it is also a truck route and those guys drive fast and I don't think they care a
bout bikes.  Not relaxing at all.  After many gentle hills (which I managed easily through my gears) we had lunch at mile 30.  Typical of me, I was in the back of the pack. Actually I started out in the back due to nervousness with the traffic and my Shoe clips.

Lunch was at the 30 mile mark.  Sandwiches, chips and cookies.  It's permissible to eat like a teenager on these rides cause you burn it all up or off, they say.

Unfortunately I had a mishap at mile 35 as evidenced by the picture
 below.   Railroad tracks are dangerous for cyclists, which everyone knows.  I saw them coming and did the required crossing at 90 degrees.  Not sure what went wrong on the second track but I went down hard.

Must have been a slow day in St. Helens, Oregon because everyone on duty from the cops, fire department, ambulance and even animal control stopped.  (Maybe he thought I was road kill).  When Bob arrived there were lights, traffic stopped and chaos everywhere.  But I am fine.  Well not looking or walking great, but fine.  I am now on a first name basis with Dr. Gibson, Becky and Sarah at St. Joseph's in Longview Washington.  I have a few stitches, a black eye and road rash on my face.  Yes, I was wearing a helmet.  (Jeff Davis, we will be discussing helmets when I get back to work.)  I do have a small wrist fracture and a bad  groin pull (like a ball player) that is keeping me off the bike today but maybe tomorrow or the next day I can ride again.  


My brand new bike is fine and actually it is still going cause another guy was having issues with his so he is riding mine today.  That makes me slightly less disappointed.


2 comments:

  1. So Jeff D. and I were curious how you are doing, so we decided to check your blog. Not exactly what we were expecting. We all thought it was a joke until we saw the hospital pic. Hope everything is ok.
    DJ
    Hey you, Grandma's aren't supossed to crash on their bikes! I am proud of you for riding and am glad you aren't really, really hurt! Shelley

    ReplyDelete
  2. Man, I go out of town to work and come back to you all busted up. Glad you were wearing a helmet! Hope your feeling better.

    Big Frank
    River City Tile

    ReplyDelete